People often planted in their gardens flowers, having no idea about their toxic properties. Green Magazine has published a list of 10 most poisonous garden plants, which can cost you a life.

⦁ Glicinija (Wisteria)

Glicinija (Wisteria)

Wisteria is a deciduous climbing plant, which blooms in spring. The large fragrant flowers are clustered structures and are usually in bluish, white or red color.
Annually, they can grow in height up to three meters. Often are seen whole building ingrown in this plant which took the title of “the most toxic”.

⦁ Thimble or foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

Thimble or foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

Thimble or foxglove is a plant with bell-shaped white, pink or purple flowers. It is used in medicine, for the production of medicaments for heart.
Due to its look, it is very often decoration in the gardens. But, if eat any of the parts of this plant, in milder cases, will come to nausea, dizziness, diarrhea and cramps, and in severe cases may come from poisoning to the cancellation of the circulatory system and heart attacks. There are very often cases where the cost of life is paid by a curious cat or dog.

⦁ Hortensia (Hydrangea)

Hortensia (Hydrangea)

Hydrangea, a shrubby, woody plant is also a frequent resident of the gardens. It blooms from June to the end of autumn. It is characterized by large flowers of vivid colors – can be white, pink, red, blue and purple, and its color varies depending on the pH of the soil.
This plant is ranked third on the list of the most poisonous plants. Shortly after the poisoning occurs rash and itchy of the skin, swelling, nausea, increased sweating, and if you don’t get the antidote soon, hydrangea poisoning can lead to coma and cancellation of the circulatory system.

⦁ Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis)

Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis)

Lily of the valley is white plant of intense scent and is often planted in the gardens as an ornamental plant. Flowers of lily of the valley are poisonous because they contain heterosides that affect the heart function.
The poison causes nausea, dizziness, vomiting, pain in the mouth and stomach, diarrhea and cramps. Lily of the valley has red fruits that mature in September and are also poisonous. After touching a flower, stem or root of this plant, it is necessary to wash your hands to avoid poisoning.

⦁ Flamingo’s flower (Anthurium)

Flamingo’s flower (Anthurium)

 

Anthurium or Flamingo`s flower is a tropical plant whose flowers are heart-shaped. The most common are red, but they can be found in other colors.
Swallowing of the plant parts can lead to very painful swelling and burns within the digestive system. Swelling of the mucous membrane can lead to choking.

⦁ Feverfew (Chrysanthemum)

Feverfew (Chrysanthemum)

Flowers that every year on Day of the Dead decorate the graves, are also extremely toxic. In humans, causes itching of the skin and swelling.
It is known about 100 to 200 types of this plant. Gardeners are often planting this plant and to expel rabbits – namely, because of its toxic properties they bypass this plant in wide arc.

⦁ Oleander

Oleander

Oleander is a plant in which each part of it is poisonous. Even accidental breathing of the smoke of a burning oleander bush can cause problems.
This evergreen plant, common on the Mediterranean, affects the heart rate and poisoning with it can lead to a heart attack.

⦁ Ficus

Ficus

Another resident of the gardens – ficus, known as the Benjamin tree, has toxic properties. There are around 800 subspecies of the ficus and all of them, in contact with the skin, lead to swelling and itching. In case of poisoning, it is necessary to visit a doctor who will prescribe some of antiallergics.

⦁ Azalea (Rhododendron)

Azalea (Rhododendron)

Azalea bushes have hallucinogen and a laxative effects. Symptoms of poisoning with it are vomiting, skin rashes, headaches, blurred vision and muscle weakness. Except to people, it is particularly poisonous to horses. There are more than 1,000 subspecies of the mentioned plant.

⦁ Narcissus

Narcissus

One of the “messengers of spring”, narcissus, took 10th place in the ranking of “beautiful and deadly.” If swallowed bulb of the mentioned plant, leads to cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Associated symptoms are also headache, muscle weakness and blurred vision. It affects the heart function.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.